CO-ED 8V8 SOCCER RULES
What is the Game:
- Co-Ed Adult Soccer is a friendly game similar to traditional 11v11 soccer but played on a smaller field with less players. The object of the game is to score more goalss than the opposing team. It is played with 8 players (5 Males/3 Females).
Length of Games/Forfeit Rules:
- All games will consist of two 22 minute halves separated by a 3 minute half time. The clock will be monitored and maintained by the referee and only stopped in the case of injury or time out. Any delay tactics which include kicking the ball unnecessarily out of bounds will be monitored at the referees discretion and may result in the clock stopping.
- Teams have until ten minutes past the designated start time to field a full squad (or the league minimum of 6 players required according to rules). If at that time a team is unable to field a legal team, they forfeit the game. After the official forfeit the teams may utilize the playing field during their allotted time to play an unofficial game but it will not be officiated. The official score will be marked as a loss with the respective forfeit score 6 – 0.
- If your team forfeits a game during the season, the following rules apply:
1. First Offense: Loss of game. Score marked: 6-0
2. Second Offense: Loss of game and lost ability to make the playoffs.
3. Third Offense: Removal from the league.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, we encourage you contact us so we can inform your opponent.
- Teams can have an unlimited number of players on the official roster with a minimum of 3 females. All team members must be in an ATX Sports & Adventures league shirt. A team can start an official game with a minimum of 6 players from their original team and can choose to pick up 1 additional substitute (the substitutes must be part of the ATX Soccer league for that season). If you would like to pick up an 8th player to be a full strength you must ask the opposing team captain if they approve of the 8th member. The captain has a choice to allow the 8th player to play or not.
- The team captain must inform the head umpire that a player on their team hasn’t signed the waiver form. No player is allowed to play in a formal game without having signed the waiver form.
- Any players not in their official league shirt (exception: goalkeeper) must take a 3 minute penalty before the game starts and will be notified of when they can check into the game by the referee. If this puts the team momentarily below the league minimum of 6 players the team can still play but will be at a big disadvantage so don't forget your shirt! If your team didn’t order enough shirts then please email email@example.com immediately to purchase additional shirts.
- ATX Sports & Adventures Soccer standings are first judged by overall record, then by head-to-head in the case of a tie and only by point differential if after head-to-head their isn't a clear higher seeded team.
Specific 8V8 Rules:
- Goalkeepers - Teams will have one designated goalkeeper who is the only player that doesn't need to play in an official ATX Sports & Adventures league and must be in a different color shirt than both your team and the opposing team.
- The Goal Box - A goal box will be marked off in front of each goal and all goal kicks will be taken from the goal box.
- The Penalty Box - A penalty box will be marked off in front of each goal and this is the designated area where the goalkeeper will be allowed to use their hands to play the ball.
- Direct Kicks - A direct kick will occur for any penalty unless the penalty has been specified as an indirect kick by the referee. The ball will be placed at the place of the infraction and put into play by any player on the affected team. Opposing players must be at least 10 paces back from the spot of the kick. Goals may be scored on direct kicks. A direct kick is to follow these infractions: (1) Charging, (2) Roughness, (3) Handball, (4) Dangerous play/kick and (5) Slide-tackles. Penalties incurred inside the goal box by the defense will result in a penalty kick.
- Indirect Kicks - Indirect Kicks will occur when (1) the goal keeper touches the ball with his/her hands after it has been deliberately kick to him/her by a teammate or (2) when offsides occurs.
- Slide Tackleing - Slide Tackleing will not be allowed and will result in a direct kick being awarded to the opposing team. Multiple violations will result in a yellow card and possible red card.
- Offsides - A player is offsides if he/she is closer to the opponents goal line than the ball, unless: (1) He/she is in his/her own half of the field of play, (2) He/she is not nearer to his/her opponent's goal line than at least two of his/her opponents, or (3) He/she is even with the ball or the second defender. A player shall not be declared offsides until he/she receives the ball.
- Out of Bounds - Anytime the ball goes over either sideline, out of bounds, a throw-in will ensue. The player throwing the ball must throw the ball overhead with both hands and keep both feet remaining on the ground out-of-bounds until the ball is released. Anytime the ball crosses the endline, a corner kick or goal kick will ensue. Corner kicks are when a defender touches it last and a goal kick is when an attacker touches it last.
- Substitutes are only allowed during any stoppage of play. These stoppages include: Throw-ins, Scoring of goals and goalkicks. On throw-ins only the team with possession can substitute on a Throw in.
- If a game is tied after the standard game time is expired, it will be recorded as a tie. However, in the playoffs teams will compete in a shoot out to determine the winner.
- Playoffs will be on the 8th week of the season following the last regular season game. It will consist of the top 4 teams in the league playing in a single elimination tournament. If there is a tie in the standings we will go to the head-to-head matchup to determine seeding.
- No substitutes will be allowed during playoffs and all players must have already played in at least one regular season game and are on the league roster/waiver.
- Playoff games that end in a tie after the regular match time will go into a shootout. In the shootout each team will pick 5 players (minimum of 2 females of the 5) to participate in the shootout. Teams will alternate taking direct penalty shots from the goal line (No guy/girl rotation is necessary). If the teams are still tied after the 5 players from each side kick we will go into a sudden death 2nd round where new players must kick. Only when all players from one team have kicked can players from both teams that participated in round 1 kick in the sudden death period. Thus, some players on the team with more people present, may or may not shoot.
- We enforce a “Zero Tolerance Policy” in regards to behavior of players, managers, and fans. Taunting, trash talking, or abusive language will not be tolerated. Abusive behavior toward the referee will not be tolerated
- Only team captains of respective teams are allowed to approach the referee with questions or concerns in a respective manner. Teams charging the field of play to question or complain a call will be subject to automatic forfeit for that game.
- A Yellow Card and Red card system will be implement. If a member of a team is issued a yellow card this is to serve as a serious warning to that the player. If a players earns a second yellow card, which leads to a red card and this player will be ejected from the current game and the following game. If necessary the ATX Sports & Adventures league commissioner will visit the incident and will discuss with the team captain.
- A Red card could be issued immediately to a player that is in violation. This will also result in immediate ejection from that game and the next.
- All decisions of the referee are final. The referee shall also have the final authority to make adjustments to match schedules, match duration, and other aspects of the league as may become necessary during the course of the league.
- FIGHTING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. ANY INSTANCES OF FIGHTING MAY RESULT IN A TEAM FORFEIT OF THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND AND POSSIBLE EXPULSIONS FROM FUTURE LEAGUES.
- There will be no refunds allowed for rain delays or cancellations. If the league is postponed due to weather, we will reschedule to a later date. There will be no refunds if you are not able to furnish a team on the makeup date.
- Soccer is played in the rain if at all possible unless the referee or Facility Representative decide it is necessary to postpone due to dangerous field conditions or lightning. If lightning occurs, all attempts will be made to resume play 30 minutes after the last lightning flash is viewed and the referee deems it safe to resume play. The games will resume as scheduled if at all possible, or shortened if necessary.