Kickball League Rules
THE GAME: Co-Ed Adult Kickball is a friendly game similar to Slow Pitch Softball. The object of the game is to score more runs than the opposing team. It is played with 10 fielders with a maximum of 6 males and a minimum of 4 females in the field (Please note that for ATX SPORTS & ADVENTURES KICKBALL LEAGUES there doesn’t have to be an equal number of male to female team members). All games will consist of 45 minutes or 7 innings, whichever comes first. No new innings will begin after 40 minutes into the game. Captains must present their line ups to the umpire before the official game time. Clock starts at game time and will begin once both teams are ready for play. A forfeit is called at 10 minutes after the game start time if a team or teams do not have enough players to start.
Teams can have an unlimited number of players on the official roster with a minimum of 4 females. All team members must be in an ATX Sports & Adventures league shirt. If a player on the team has forgotten their shirt the team will be accessed an out before the first kick by that player. This is a one-time out but it could be costly so be sure to wear your league shirt! A team can start with 9 but if the 10th missing player is a female then that team must take an out when it is her turn to bat. All team members must be on the signed roster/waiver in order to be eligible to participate in the league. If a team is missing player or someone is running late the opposing team has the option to allow the team that is short to pick up players at the field from other league teams. However, these substitute players must have an ATX Sports & Adventures shirt and play within the league.
- A team can start with 9 but if the player missing is a female then that team must take an out when it is her turn to kick.
- There is no limit to the number of players on a team and in the kicking order as long as no more than 2 males kick in a row. A consistent 1 to 1 rotation between a male and female kicker is NOT required. 3 males in a row will result in an out before the third male would kick. Each team will kick around the entire batting order regardless of the players playing in the field.
- Substitutes are allowed during the game on the field. Changes to the kicking order are not permitted once they have been submitted to the umpire. Pinch hitters are not allowed.
- All kickers come to the plate with a one ball and one strike count. Kickers with two strikes will be allowed one extra foul. The next foul after that will result in an automatic out.
- If a male, who is followed by a female kicker, is walked then he automatically goes to second base. The female kicking behind him will have the option to advance to first or kick. A female who is walked will automatically advance to first base and the only case where base runners would advance is if there is a runner on first.
- The strike zone is roughly 42” across. Balls pitched with excessive speed or bounce will be called an automatic “ball’ by the umpire. The ball cannot be kicked in front of the home plate line, this will be called an illegal kick and an out will be called. Once the kickers reach a two strike count, they will be allowed one foul kick and a second foul kick will result in an automatic out.
- The ball can be thrown at the runner to be put out. The ball must hit the runner at the shoulders or below. A runner hit in the head will NOT be ruled out, UNLESS the runner slides or ducks to avoid the throw.
- There is no BUNTING ALLOWED. All balls must past the bunt line or it is considered a foul ball.
- There is no ‘Run Rule’.
- If a game is tied after the standard game time is expired, extra innings will be played until the tie is broken. The last player who was called out in the previous inning will start on 2nd base. Each kicker will start with a full count and one foul and will receive one pitch. If the pitch is ruled a ball by the umpire, the kicker will advance per regulation rules. The ball must be kicked fair or it will result in an out. Full overtime one-pitch innings will be played until the tie is broken.
- Base runners may not steal, lead off, or advance until the ball has been kicked. Violation of this rule will result in the base runner moving back to the proper base. If the kicker makes a fair kick while a base runner is leading off then the runner will be out.
- Base runners struck with a kicked ball that has deflected off of a defensive player shall be ruled out. Base runners may not interfere with a defensive player trying to field a ball. If a base runner is standing on the base and is struck by a kicked ball they ARE NOT out, however the ball is live and playable. An umpire being struck by a kicked ball is part of the field and the ball will remain in play if in bounds.
- Courtesy runners for injuries are allowed but must be of the same sex. If the courtesy runner is still on base when he/she is up to bat, he/she may stay on base but cannot kick and will be called an out. A player may also become a courtesy runner if he/she is named on the roster and not in the batting line up.
- There is no requirement regarding male/female ratios in the infield or outfield but there must be at least 4 females in the field unless the team is playing with only 9 players and their 10th player missing is a female.
- Outfielders must start in the outfield grass before the ball is kicked. The umpire will warn outfielders to move back if deemed too close, the second offense will result in an automatic single for the kicker.
- All defensive players must wait until the ball is kicked to move forward. The pitcher and all defensive players cannot charge the kicker until the ball has been kicked. The Umpire will give one warning and a second offense will result in an automatic single for the kicker.
- Defensive players must give the runners room to run to the next base not blocking the baseline or the base itself. If the defensive player doesn’t give the runner sufficient space in the baseline, or on the base, the umpire will rule in favor of the runner by default and will award the runner the base in question.
- The defensive player can throw the ball at the runner to gain an out. The runner will be called out if the thrown ball hits them in the air or is bounced and hits him/her. The thrown ball must hit the runner at the shoulders or below, runner is not out if hit in the head area UNLESS the runner slides or ducks to avoid the thrown ball.
- On an overthrown ball that results in the ball going outside of the playing field all runners will advance a maximum of one base.
- There is NO infield fly rule in kickball.
- Playoffs will follow the end of the regular season. It will consist of the top 4 teams in the league playing in a single elimination tournament. If there is a tie in the standings we will go to the head-to-head matchup to determine seeding.
- No substitutes will be allowed during playoffs and all players must have already played in at least one regular season game and are on the league roster/waiver.
If your team forfeits a game during the season, the following rules apply:
First Offense: Loss of game. Score marked: 7-0
Second Offense: Loss of game and lost ability to make the playoffs.
Third Offense: Removal from the league.
If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, we encourage you contact us so we can inform your opponent.
Teams have until ten minutes past the designated start time to field a full squad (or the league minimum of players required according to rules). If at that time a team is unable to field a legal team, they forfeit the game. The teams may utilize the playing field during their allotted time to play an unofficial game. The official score will be marked as a loss with the respective forfeit score.
- We enforce a “Zero Tolerance Policy” in regards to behavior of players, managers, and fans. Taunting, trash talking, or abusive language will not be tolerated. Umpires and league staff will have the right to reprimand or eject players, managers, or fans depending on the severity of the situation. Abusive behavior toward the umpire will not be tolerated. An ejection carries a two game suspension (including the current game). In extreme cases, the player will be asked to leave the premises without refund. The severity of the punishment will be based on the discretion of the umpire and league staff. Only MANAGERS of respective teams are allowed to approach the umpire with questions or concerns in a respective manner. Teams charging the field of play to question or complain a call will be subject to automatic forfeit for that game.
- Alcohol and smoking is not allowed on playing fields.
- Any rules not covered or protests will be handled by the Umpire.
- There will be no refunds allowed for rain delays or cancellations. If the league is postponed due to weather, we will reschedule to a later date. There will be no refunds if you are not able to furnish a team on the makeup date.
- Kickball is played in the rain if at all possible unless the Umpire or Facility Representative decide it is necessary to postpone due to dangerous field conditions or lightning. If lightning occurs, all attempts will be made to resume play 30 minutes after the last lightning flash is viewed and the umpire deems it safe to resume play. The games will resume as scheduled if at all possible, or shortened if necessary.
- All decisions of the umpire are final. The umpire shall also have the final authority to make adjustments to match schedules, match duration, and other aspects of the league as may become necessary during the course of the league.
FIGHTING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. ANY INSTANCES OF FIGHTING MAY RESULT IN A TEAM FORFEIT OF THE TOURNAMENT WITHOUT REFUND AND POSSIBLE EXPULSIONS FROM FUTURE TOURNAMENTS.